3 September, 2018
Uppu Seedai – Gokulashtami Recipe
Learn how to make Uppu Seedai’s on the auspicious occasion of Janmaashtami which marks the celebration of the birth of Lord Sri Krishna, the eight incarnation(Avatar) of Lord Vishnu.
Go through the full video and step-by-step method which comes with loads of tips and tricks that will ensure that Uppu seedai don’t burst while cooking.
My mother taught me a simple trick to prevent the uppu seedai’s from bursting while cooking the same. The trick is to allow the steam to escape during the frying of seedai’s. Therefore take care to ensure that seedai;s are not rolled smoothly and all ensure proportionate water content.
Rice flour: 1 cup
Urad flour: 2 tbsp
Sesame Seeds: 1 tbsp
Grated Coconut: 1 tbsp
Butter: 1 Dollop
Oil: For Frying
Salt as per Taste
- Soak the rice for a period of 2- 3 hours & then drain the water.
- Spread the rice in a clean cloth which will help it to absorb the excess water.
- Grind the rice into a fine powder using a mixer
- Sieve the flour to weed out the coarse rice particles
- Heat a pan and fry the rice flour, Urad Flour in a medium flame until you see steam and a nice aroma coming out of the flour. Do this approximately for a minute and half.
- Now fry the grated coconut in a low flame to drain the excess moisture from it.
- Mix all the ingredients along with a dollop of butter and water to make a pliable dough.
- Now gently create small shaped balls by rolling it in your palms. Please refer to the trick I have mentioned above while doing this process.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add the seedais in batches only. Stir the seedai’s occasionally to ensure even cooking
- Cook until the sizzling sound stops. Thereafter drain the excess oil in seedais in a paper towel and store it in an airtight container