20 September, 2018
Broken Wheat Vegetable Upma
Today’s recipe “Broken Wheat Vegetable Upma”, yet another health meal that could be had for breakfast, which comes loaded with valuable amounts of fiber & other nutrients.
In the olden days our grandmother’s would typically prepare “Broken Wheat Vegetable Upma”, as it contains a good valuable amount of fiber thereby helping us improve our digestive function & bowel health, also helping us lower high cholesterol levels and blood sugar levels.
Moreover for people who are looking for a different flavor in their food or rich fiber in their foods may want to try out broken wheatl vegetable upma .
Another benefit of using broken wheat is that it cooks really fast as compared to long grains, which helps you whip out a yummy & nutritious whole-grain dish in the snap of finger
Cracked Wheat: 2 Cups
Finely Chopped Beans: ½ Cup
Carrots Chopped: ½ Cup
Chopped Tomatoes: 2
Hing: 1 Pinch
Urad Dal: 2 tbsp
Green Chilies: 3
Mustard Seeds: 1 tbsp
Salt as per Taste
How to Make Broken Wheat Vegetable Upma
- Cut all the vegetables into tiny small pieces
- Take a kadai and heat oil in the kadai and fry mustard seeds, dal & green chilli
- Chop the green chilies & ginger into small pieces and fry slightly
- Add the chopped vegetables and stir well for a couple of minutes
- Add ½ litre of water, cover the kadai with a lid and cook the vegetables
- When the vegetables are half-cooked add additional 1 more cup of water, hing, salt & curry leaves and allow the water to heat up
- Once the water boils,, add the broken wheat and continuously stir it all the while. Cover it with a lid and cook it for 15-20 minutes in a slow flame.
- Set aside for 5 minutes
- The upma will turn out loose and not sticky
- Serve Hot.